This is how you update your XiaoYi Dash Camera from the Chinese firmware to the International Version.
Warning – there is a chance you will irreparably damage your device. I am not responsible for any problems.
Download the firmware here. XiaoYi removed the file from their website earlier: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByKO_8KOf2FQUkpZNUVIMUtwdnM/view?usp=sharing
1. Get a Desktop/Laptop, SD Card Reader, microSD Card and a minimum 1amp microUSB charger ready
2. Copy the serial number from the menu/label on the bottom of the camera. Take only the first 14 characters.
3. Write the serial number into a word processor and change the letters “CN” into “US”
4. Save as “SN.txt”
5. Create a blank file and name it “engmode”, no file extension.
6. Copy both files onto your SD card.
7. Insert the SD card back into the camera and power it on using your USB charger.
8. Once you see the engineering menu, scroll down until you see number 8 – Exit. Select it.
9. Go into the regular settings menu and select factory reset.
10. Once it reboots, exit ENG mode again and enter the settings menu and check if your serial number shows “US”
11. If good, power off your card and insert it back into your reader. Format it.
12. Download the “FWCARC10.bin” file from XiaoYi’s page: http://www.yitechnology.com/support/firmware_en.html
13. Unzip this file into your SD card and add the .bin extension to the end.
14. Insert this card back into your card and power it on again using the power cable.
15. Your camera should start updating your camera, once finished, accept all prompts.
16. Format your card and you are finished!
Thanks to scoup (scorup) for first posting the instructions on modifying the firmware. See the full thread here (starting page 2):
If you’re looking to purchase the international version it’s available straight from Amazon: http://geni.us/XiaoYiAmz
If you don’t live in the USA, it’s only available at GeekBuying: http://geni.us/XiaoYiGeek